One of the most important parts of your maternity photo session is clothing! We want you to wear timeless pieces that fit your personal style and make you feel beautiful! Below you will find 10 Tips on What to Wear for your maternity session.
- Multiple Outfits – Most of the time, our maternity sessions allow for at least 2 outfits. This will add variety to your images and allow you to create 2 different looks. You might choose to have one outfit set to be more dressy and the other to be more casual.
- Form Fitting – A comfortable stretchy outfit that hugs all your curves and shows off that beautiful baby bump. There are many types of clothing to choose from to get a form fitting look: maxi dress, short dress, top and skirt, top and pants.
- Flowing – Flowing dresses and skirts show beautiful movement in photos. Boho style maxi dresses are perfect for this look as are some specialty maternity gowns. You can use lace or sheer fabric to show off even more of that baby bump.
- Colors & Patterns – Both solid colors and beautiful patterns can work wonderfully. Stay away from neons & busy patterns.
- Textures – Utilizing textured fabric in your clothing can create more visual interest in the photos. Lace, chiffon, denim, crochet, and chunky knits are all good choices.
- Layers – Layering pieces add wonderful variety and can help cover any areas you might be self-conscious about.
- Accessories – Necklaces, Earrings, Scarves, Bracelets, Rings, Headpieces, and Hats can complete an outfit. Choose wisely, don’t overdo them and make sure they match the aesthetic of your outfit.
- Undergarments – Well fitting undergarments can make a world of difference! Make sure you have bras and underwear that work with each outfit you plan to use during your session.
- Coordinate – Dad and any children who will be in the photos need to wear outfits that coordinate with Mom. Be careful to not overdo patterns. Choose simple, comfortable outfits that fit well.
- Where to Shop – Don’t get stuck shopping only in the maternity section, there are beautiful pieces of ‘regular’ clothes that will work wonderfully during pregnancy as well! Look through the clothes you already have to see if you have some pieces that will work well. You can also use this as a time to treat yourself to something new, below are a list of great places to shop for beautiful clothes for your maternity session.
Choosing what to wear can be overwhelming and difficult. We love to help! Check out our Maternity Pinterest board for outfit inspiration. You can always email us at email@example.com or message us on Facebook with photos of your potential outfit choices. We will help you decide what to wear. This allows us to ensure that we will be able to create beautiful, timeless maternity photos that you and your children will always cherish.